Thursday, November 1, 2012

Arabic People Time, Dubai, and Morsels

Good morning from the UAE!  Well, this has been a very interesting week.  As you might recall, last week we had a long weekend due to EID (a huge Muslim holiday).  We had Sunday off and returned on Monday.  Only 3 students showed up in the whole school.  One in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  I stood there shocked not believing that any KG students came to school.  Teachers used this valuable time as a much needed work day.  As some of you might remember from previous blogs, I didn't have any work days before having to teach.  My assignment was delayed from ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Council) and walked into a classroom and taught the first day of school cold. Well, since then, I have never felt like I've caught up....always behind the 8 ball.  This much needed time was appreciated.  On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, the same thing happened...no students. We had meetings, meetings, and more meetings and professional development, along with time to work on our classroom and upcoming baseline testing. 

Prior to English teachers coming to Abu Dhabi, the students were given 2 weeks for this important Muslim holiday.  Many families travel great distances to relatives and go to Mecca.  People walk a path from Abu Dhabi through Saudi Arabia to Mecca (about a day and a half walk) for a large religious gathering called Hajj.  All Muslims are required to make this trip at least once in their lives if they can afford to go.  Most Muslims go several times in their lives.  Mecca is considered to be a holy Islamic place, birthplace of the prophet Mohammed.  All those white dots are people....They walk in cirlces around the large black box ( Ka'ba ) seven times while they raise their hand up to Allah (God) and chant an Islam prayer. There are ten days of activities required to complete the hajj. 



After the English teachers came, they changed the holidays to a week and this year to just a long weekend.  Most of our students and their families are still there or with families during this week of school.  Thus, no students in schools. 

Another important thing happened this week....I drove my first roundabout and survived to tell.  A friend needed my help and asked me to drive to Dubai and pick her up.  Dubai is Atlanta X 10+.  More people, cars, and roads are very confusing.  When leaving Al Ain, you drive out into very remote desert.  As you are driving there are dunes on both sides of the 4 lane road, camel farms very close to the road, and wild camels everywhere.  There are large fences on the side of the road to keep animals from wandering into traffic.  This is important because the speed limit for this road is 120 kilometers which is 75 mph.  You are allowed to drive 20 kilometers over the speed limit, which is about 87 mph without fear of a ticket.  There are no policeman hiding behind the dunes.  They have cameras set up in strategic places so they just take a picture of your tag and mail the ticket to you...convenient, huh?  Well, let's just say that locals don't abide by the speed limit.  They know where the cameras are and will fly by you driving 180km+. 

Interesting thing is that on all cars you rent in the UAE, there is a warning signal that goes off when you go over 120.  In America, it sounds like an engine warning sound...scared me the first time I heard it.  Thought something was wrong.  It's very easy to speed here because the radio stations are all in Arabic, religious oriented, or are techno music...not 80's on 8 or rock.  Dubai is about 1 hour and half plus ride and most is rural. Had to stop for gas along the way and was so nice.  Attendants come to your car, pumped gas, and take money.  There are no self-service gas stations here.  Paid 17.00 to fill up my friend's car and he cleaned all my windows with a smile! At the gas station, there was a Red Lamborgini was on one side and a Porsche on the other...don't see that everyday.

Glad to say I made it to Dubai and back safely during rush hour and survived to tell the tale.  So proud of myself because I am a country girl.  Don't like all that traffic and people honk horns here like I've never seen.  They are very patient people until they drive and all the anger comes out.  Drivers are very aggressive and impatient in the UAE.  They honk and flash lights like they other people use the blinkers.  Very strange from such a patient society. 

This week I discovered something about myself....I'm a workaholic. Relaxing is hard for me because I always feel like if I'm not busy someone will say that the job is not being done.  Guess this comes from years of having way too much to do.  Someone said that if you admit it, it's half of the battle.  I'm going to try really hard to learn to relax and not get so wound up about work.  Everyone here is so laid back and I'm going to take some lessons from them.  Asked my coworkers to call me out when I need to stop working long enough to eat....old habits die hard. 

Want to send a shout out to my husband, Dan, and daughter, Shelby.  They had birthdays this week and really missed not being there.  Enjoyed our talks, but can't wait to give a real hug and kiss!  Received my first box from home and am really enjoying all the goodies.  There's just something about receiving something from home that just brings a smile to your face. The grits were unbelievable and I'm enjoying wearing my favorite shirt which was left at home by mistake!  Thank you, Dan!  Can't wait for the next package!  I miss all my friends terribly and can't wait to see you!  Until we meet again! 

2 comments:

  1. amen to how you described the drivers in this place. I often wonder about the dichotomy between the rest of their laid back lives and their Doctor Jekyll/Mr. Hyde transformation when they get behind the wheel of a car!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yacht Charter Dubai nice blog. keep it up and keep sharing things like this.

    ReplyDelete