Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Safety First, the Gas Leak, and a Little Piece of Home

This week began with a discussion of safety in my classroom. Bus, car, walking, stranger danger, fire, and poison safety. On any given day in the UAE, children can be spotted standing up in cars that are driving very fast. When my friend,Nicole Cruz, came over to the UAE with her baby, the taxi drivers tried to put his car seat in the trunk. They didn't k ow what it was. So, I knew there would need to be some background building!

Bus safety was new information for them too. On the school buses here, boys ride on one bus and girls on another. The kg students ride together. Each bus has a monitor that rides each day. Why? The children don't sit in the seats. They stand up, walk down the aisles, and sometimes hit others. The bus driver would not be able to handle the children alone. I admire the bus drivers of the world because I would have a wreck looking at all the stuff the kids were doing!

Drivers here are a little crazy! Stop lights, lanes, and following traffic rules are a suggestion here. So knowing when to cross the street, looking both ways and holding a grown ups hand is important here. I have to say hold you Momma, Poppa, or Nanny's hand when crossing the street. Children are with nannies most of the time.

Fires occur mostly in car accidents and not homes in the UAE. In America, homes are made from wood or have lots of wood components...not here. Buildings are made with concrete and blocks. I taught the children about staying away from things that are hot. There is no heat in the homes right now except for space heaters , so talked about those dangers. Taught them stop, drop, and roll. They thought i was very funny rolling on the floor. Hanaa explained that I was rolling to put out the fire on my clothes. They thought I crazy for rolling on the floor! Didn't want to get their clothes dirty. Sometimes things get lost in translation! :)

The weather has been very strange this week...pea soup fog for the past two days. On Tuesday, our bus drove very slowly through some very dense fog, but made it to school safely....thanks Shahab! On Wednesday when I walked out of my apartment, couldn't see the other end of the street. My phone rang and...the fog tree had been activated. My bus would not be there to pick me up until 7:20 so hopefully some of the fog would clear. Went back upstairs to couch and tried to nap until then.

The trip to Al Wagan was very foggy and we arrived to school @ 8:40. The teachers who live close covered until we arrived...team work!!! Upon entering the school, there was a horrible smell. Think about the smell of a very bad sewer leak times 10. Found out there was a leak of some kind.   Principal called the buses and all the students were loaded and out of school by 10. We were sent home for safety reasons. Good thing I talked about safety this week!


Thursday is the prophet's birthday, so no school tomorrow...woo hoo! Last holiday until March 28th....then 2 week Spring Break!!!!  Going to plan a trip to go somewhere I've never been...not sure where yet. Any suggestions?


Earlier this week, I received two boxes from home...always a joy.  Dan mailed them on the same day, but one came Sunday and the other on Monday.  If you've never lived abroad, there are always things you will miss from home.  First and foremost, I miss my husband and children.  Being separated is hard, but thank goodness for Skype and Facebook!  I LOVE to cook and really miss some of my favorite spices from home.  Before leaving to come back, I purchased all my favorites and packed up to mail here.  It was like Christmas when I opened the box....Chili-O, Lipton Onion Soup Mix, "REAL" Garlic Salt, Ground Mustard for my Mac and Cheese recipe....and so much more.  Can't wait to start cooking some of my favorites....Think I see some chili in my future!

Before I cook that chili, I'm going to go to my first movie theater in the UAE tonight.
Whitney, Brenda, and I are going to watch Les Mis (Never seen it....I'm sheltered!). Eating dinner at the Coriander (Indian) for the first time and am looking forward to it. When you live abroad, you either try new foods or starve!  Each week I buy one new fruit or vegetable to try.  The thing I've learned is you have to open your mind and not be scared to try new things. Until we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment