Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Chariot Awaits and the Rooster Crows


At the end of my blog last week, I discussed the new bus that would be coming to pick up the EMT's(English Medium Teachers).  ADEC attempted to save money by putting all teachers who had been on 5 buses/vans onto 2 of these buses.  Needless to say, it has been an adventure.  The seats are smaller and there are wall to wall teachers.  None of us have been able to sleep.  Each morning the leave time gets earlier and earlier.  One morning this week, the bus was slowing down for a speed bump and we heard a rooster crowing...yep, up before the chickens....We all laughed!  

Some of the teachers are having to leave at 5:20 am and are not arriving home until 5:00 pm due to us having to wait on High School teachers which have a later dismissal time. In situations like this, patience is sometimes hard. Many phone calls have been made by my principal, Mrs. Olive, and the HOF (Head of Faculty...kind of like Academic Coach) to try and get additional buses.  I really appreciate all of their hard work.  Dealing with ADEC is like dealing with any government agency in America ....long, tedious, and frustrating at times....magnify by 100 here. 

On Monday, the nurse had what she calls "Open Day".  For the month of January, the KG2 students have been studying health (healthy eating, dental health, safety, handwashing, germs, etc.).     She planned an entire morning of activities related to our unit.  The day began with the nurse visiting rooms to teach children the correct way to wash hands.  Next, students ate snack in our cantina.  In this school, no hot meals are served.  Students bring a lunchbox and have a mid-morning "snack" or breakfast.  These breakfast usually consist of a sandwich, milk/juice, fruit, and sometimes "chocolate".  I've been encouraging students who bring a fruit, juice, milk, or water.  "Chocolate" is not allowed!  

Hanaa in the Cantina (Lunchroom).  
Mohammed enjoying a healthy snack.


Next, the nurses invited the children into the auditorium for the remainder of the activities. 
Amina, our school nurse

Here we are in the auditorium.  I'm in the back.  
A good time was had by all and the children were very well behaved.  At the end, it was getting a little long for them, but they were real troopers.  
Ms. Lynette...Such a sweet and helpful person!


After school ended, the KG parents came to a parent workshop.  All of the teachers worked together to put together a PowerPoint explaining the New School Model and the curriculum taught in KG.  Ms. Lynette and I presented the information to about 25-30 parents.  Meetings here are different because everything has to be translated.  You and the translator have to get used to each other.  The translator we had didn't know me and I have a STRONG Southern accent.  I say a sentence or two and she translates.  Knowing when to stop is hard sometimes when trying to finish a thought.  We finished and then Arabic teachers presented a short PowerPoint about parent participation and the importance of helping your children at home.  Mrs. Hiba was the presenter.  

Hiba....my friend.  You make me smile :)

After a long day, I wanted to stretch out, take a nap on the way home, and clear my mind...
The ride home was longer today and I'm beginning to feel very cramped.  My back is killing me today and every time I get close to being relaxed enough to sleep, the bus driver slams on brakes. (There are 5 cameras on the way to school that take a picture if you are going 20 km+ over  the speed limit.  He slams on breaks right before them...jarring my whole body). As the week progressed, my back began to ache more and more.  

On the ride home Wednesday afternoon, I decided to give my back a break.  I've been a grouch all week and really needed to shake the negativity.  Thursday, I drove to school. Leaving 30 minutes later made me feel more rested and like a new woman!  Stretched my legs out (which can't do on the new bus) and had nice conversation with friends who rode to school in my car.  Rejuvenated my spirit! 

Can't help but remember that next Friday is Valentine's Day. In the UAE, the holiday is not mentioned at school, there are no parties, and only the expats (foreigners) will even know the day exists.  Still, I think of all my friends and loved ones who are so far away....know that I LOVE YOU and treasure all the times we've spent together.  I will keep you close in my heart. Until we meet again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment