Friday, March 15, 2013

Sausages on a Griddle and Things I've Learned

Spring has sprung in the UAE.  Temps are in the 90's by lunch and the sun is shining bright. Want to be outside instead of cooped up in school.  Dr. Tom J. Collins always said that children were like "sausages on a griddle" when it gets hot outside. They wiggle and squirm and just don't stay put. I must admit that I have a touch of "Spring Fever" just like all the children.   Two more weeks until Spring Break and then two weeks off to relax....can't wait!

The past two weeks have proven to be very productive at school.  My last formal observation occurred and passed with flying colors. The same day of observation, have a follow-up with administration to discuss what they saw.  Had 8 functioning centers and my children showed that they know directionality, 1:1, and can read patterned texts. (KG2 here is like Pre-K back home). Used cut apart sentences and they can put together and read.  Almost all my students can write entire name in English and Arabic. I was one proud Momma!

The end of our 2nd trimester is coming soon, so am assessing students on their growth.  I'm so PROUD of them and how much they've learned since the beginning of the year.  They understand me much better and are responsive when I ask them to do something.  Their English is improving and my Arabic is improving. The children like it when I know a word that begins with their Arabic letter.   I know lots of words, but don't know sentences yet.

We've been studying about animals, animals, animals.  Students are really improving at naming the animals. Took out the paint this week. The children LOVE to paint!  We made a mess at the art center, but had a BIG time!  I believe that sometimes you have to make a mess to learn.  We studied "W" and made a "watermelon"....thought of home :)  Watermelons here don't taste as sweet and they're smaller.  Let's see if you read the blog....Looking forward to coming HOME this summer for a visit to have some!

This week I've been reflecting on my time here. Landed in the UAE on August 8, 2012.  Remember how much of a culture shock it was!  Now, I'm just one of the locals and everything seems surprising "normal" now. There are still moments when things shock me or I learn new things about the culture. The locals honk their horns outside of dry cleaners and restaurants and workers run out to take their order or bring dry cleaning.  All gas is pumped for you and they wash your windows. Locals are very privileged and shopping is a sport here.  I have never considered myself much of a shopper, but when it's hot, there's nothing else to do.  Shoes, purses, watches, jewelry, and designer clothes are everywhere.  Lucky for me, I get paid a teacher's salary and don't have a credit card here!  

The driving is easier now, but there are still many drivers who don't follow the rules. I'm not sure they know the rules or even care that there are rules.  Drivers stop in the outside lane on the roundabouts to talk and park behind other cars in parking lots when they're full or if they feel like it.  Driving in one lane is just a suggestion and many drive in two lanes.  I honk my horn like a local now and use my hand to express myself when I'm upset.

As the end of the school year approaches, have to make the decision if I'm returning for next year.  Good news, I am.  Teaching here is unlike anything I've ever done.  It's been challenging and rewarding.  Having to make everything from scratch was trying and always paddling to keep my head above water.  Now I know what works and what doesn't and look forward to another year here.  Next year should be much easier.

I miss all my friends terribly!  So happy that Facebook and Skype exist.  Definitely couldn't have done this without being able to talk with family and friends.  This blog has been helpful to me in that I get to share my world with you and still feel "connected".  Happy St. Patrick's Day to all my friends and family.  Until we meet again! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment