Saturday, September 8, 2012

You're Not in Kansas Anymore, Dorothy!

So, last Monday, we were moved from Abu Dhabi to Al Ain to be closer to our schools.  We were divided into three groups.  I was placed at the Danat (Formally the Intercontinental) with one of my friends, Andrea Brown.  We were given Tuesday off in order to finish shopping.   Shopped from 10:00 am-10:00 pm...Words cannot describe how tired my feet were by the end of the day. On Wednesday, all the teachers were taken to the local branch of the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) in Al Ain.  Planned to start at 8:00 and began an 8:20.  Things here tend to run behind schedule and people here are very relaxed about time....different than I'm used to.  After a very short meeting, the Heads of Faculty (HOFs) were introduced.  These are our best friends for this year.  They support instruction, do staff development, and basically do what I used to do in the US.  Some HOFs did not come because they were so far out of town or last minute assignments were made.  Unfortunately, my HOF did not come due to my assignment coming late.  So, I was sent back to the hotel for a day of rest....wrong, more shoppping. The amount of time waiting in line makes the shopping experience longer here, that's why it has taken so long.  Think about all the "stuff" you have to buy when starting a new apartment...I have nothing. 

On Thursday morning, we attended our "orientation".  Several teachers from different grade levels spoke to us about what the first day/first week would be like.  Students tend to trickle in here and rosters will not be "settled" for a couple of weeks.  Teachers are moved between grades if needed when the final counts come in...For those of you who know me well, know that I have a plan A, B, and C for everything. I have had to learn "patience" here.  I spend two weeks decorating my room and getting myself together...not here...On the first day of school, Sunday, I do not know my grade level.  My HOF called a few moments ago and asked me to be a "floater" on Sunday and go where needed.  I will help with 1st grade on the first day and then go to K.  This eased a little of my "stress".

 My school, Al Wagan (sounds like wagon) is an hour or longer away from Al Ain and will have to ride a shuttle bus provided by ADEC to school for now.  Leave early in the day and get home by 3-4 (much earlier for me).  Al Wagan is a co-ed school. Part of the school is for girls and the other part is for boys. Classes are unisex here except for some KG classes (2,3, and 4 year olds). Not sure if I will have boys or girs. The school is located in an agricultural area (no different for me).  Brand new school building with lots of technology....excited about this because some schools here don't have internet and some don't have computers.  13 new schools will be built here this year in order to bring all buildings up to technology standards.

 I don't have a car here because a residency visa is necessary to rent and I want to learn my way to work before going into the desert alone...safety first!  The driving is better here, but roundabouts are scary.  Roundabouts are circular roads (3 lanes)  that have statues, fountains, rocks, or gardens in the the middle.  Each roundabout has a name.  When driving around these roundabouts, there are exits (roads) that go off of the roundabouts.  Some roundabouts have 3-4 roads branching off of them.  It's kind of like riding on a carousel and having to get off the roundabout on your road without hitting someone else who's trying to do the same thing.  Blinkers/signals are not used as much as I would like.  Some drivers go from the inside lane closes to the statues all the way across to the third lane without a blinker.  Once I learn the roundabout, I may try driving.  For now, this girl is going to let the taxi drivers do the driving!  

Today I checked out of my hotel and officially moved into my apartment.  I only have a bed, refrigerator, and internet at this point.  Rest of things supposed to be delivered here today....Inshallah (Means Lord Willing and the Creek Don't Rise in Southern English!)  Had a cold diet coke from my refrigerator and started putting my things away.  Need to go grocery shopping, so will write more later.  Until we meet again! 

1 comment:

  1. I like your priorities - bed, internet and cold diet Coke(though I'm a diet Pepsi girl myself) :)

    I am supposed to start working at the Applied Technology High School in Al Ain, female campus(alhamdulillah, bet you've learned that, ha ha), in January, depending on when I get my documents together. Do you know the location of this school? I haven't had much luck finding it on the web. I am single and hope I won't get too bored in Al Ain as opposed to AD(though I am in my 40s myself and not into clubbing, etc.). I'm learning a lot from your blog and will probably start my own blog when my journey officially begins :)

    ReplyDelete