Saturday, September 1, 2012

Patience, Shop Til You Drop, and the Al Ain Adventure

Since my last blog, there have been some very trying times.  Tuesday evening after our last meeting, teachers began receiving school assignments @7:00 p.m.  I waited, and waited, and waited...no school assignment.  By 10:00 p.m., all my friends and most teachers had assignments....not me.  I like to think patience is one of my virtues, but I was beginning to get concerned.  After a restless night, I woke early to check email...still no school.  Checked in our facebook group and there were 4 others with no school, so I wasn't alone.  At the beginning of the business day, contacted the ADEC office via email asking for my assignment.  Through several emails and phone calls later still no school assignment.  It wasn't until Thursday morning at 10:00 that I received my assignment.  I will be working at Al Wagan, a co-ed KG-5 school, about 1 hour and 10 minutes from Al Ain.  Girls and boys usually have different schools and are never in the same class with each other.  In this school part of the building will be for boys and others part for girls.  The school is located in a rural community with farming near by, but the school is brand new and has technology in every room, which is hard to find here.  My principal is from Ireland and will have a Head of Faculty to assist with curriculum implementation and training (Kind of sounds like what I used to do!)  Since the school is so far away from Al Ain, each morning a bus will pick me up and transport to my school and return me home each evening. That makes me feel better, because wouldn't want to be driving alone in the rural areas until I know my way around. 

Wednesday was an interesting day...received a sms text from the National Bank of Abu Dhabi that my  housing allowance money had been deposited and could officially use my debit card.  How much you ask?  20,000 dirhams...equals about $5,300 to totally furnish a 2 bedroom apartment.  Most apartments don't have a built in closet, so must buy a wardrobe. Kitchen will need refrigerator, combined washer/dryer, stove, and water cooler (I will have to order water bottles because you don't cook with water here or drink). The washer and dryer are the same machine...you wash and dry without taking clothes out...just turn a knob..will send picture when buy.  Refrigerators are smaller here than in America.  Living room furniture, tv stand/entertainment center, tv, bed frame, headboard, mattresses, wardrobe, night stands, desk, hallway table of some sort, towels, shower curtains, pots/pans, and decorative items need to be purchased.   Can it be done? We shall see!

Late Wednesday evening, I tried to withdraw a little cash from my debit card just to see if it worked....and it didn't. Took a cab to Mushrif Mall all the way across town to go to the main branch and see customer service.  After three tries, the customer service agent finally was able to reset the card and when I got home....back to the hotel, I was able to withdraw funds...whew!  Andrea Brown, Nicole Cruz, and I decided that tomorrow (Thursday) we would go out to IKEA to purchase some items (Andrea and I have trekked out here a week ago to scope out what was available...never been to IKEA before (yes, I'm sheltered).  IKEA is located on Yas Island (about 65 dirham ride...about 30 minutes).  This is the island that you've seen in the pictures that looks like a palm tree.  I didn't see that...just IKEA.  This IKEA has a cafeteria-style restaurant in it.  We ate lunch here.  I chose baked chicken and rice.  Asked for gravy and server put it over the chicken instead of the rice...guess I should have been more specific :)  Needless to say, my chicken with gravy and rice was good!  Now to shopping. 

The Arabic culture is very relaxed...they don't rush (except when they drive :) )  It took us and hour and a half to get couches ordered , choose colors, and get our paperwork...There were so many people in the store that IKEA called in employees who were supposed to have the day off.  Thanks for coming in Ruwan, you were most helpful!  Next, on the wardrobes.  Andrea already knew her choice, but I didn't.  While she was placing her order, I browsed and found one that I liked...no price (it's free!). After another hour and a half, I left with my paperwork and on to the rest of the store.  After another 30 minutes, we ended up at the station where you present your paperwork and the workers get the boxes off the shelves.  I'd never seen this before, so I was looking like a tourist :)  The workers were courteous and quick and within a few minutes I was ready to check out!  I had a 3 seater couch, ottoman (with storage), white tv stand with drawers, desk, chair for desk, console table (kind of like a buffet), ordered the wardrobe, and several kitchen and bathroom items.  Then to checkout.  After almost 4 hours in the store, I could hardly feel my feet.  Felt rode hard and put up wet! Checked out and spent half of my allowance, but feel good about what I purchased.  Now, to set up delivery. 

Remember....I've only been to my apartment one time for 15 minutes.  Know the city and that I'm close to the ABella grocery store and the name Sultan Al Yarbhooni. There are very few street signs.  I was more than a little nervous about telling someone how to get to my apartment.  The delivery assitant was most helpful and set up my delivery for Saturday, Sept. 8th.  I work Sun-Thursday.  Friday is the holy day, so no deliveries.  Will be home from school by 3:30 each day and will help me meet delivery team.  IKEA calls your cell phone and gives an approximate delivery time.  You must be present while the furniture is assembled and must approve before they can leave.  Felt a rush of adrenaline when I left the desk.  Headed to go an catch a cab.....At Yas Island, it is very difficult to find a cab.  We waited in the shade of the building for a few minutes and decided to wait inside for about 15 minutes (110 degrees outside). Finally, a cab arrived with other teachers coming to shop.  We sat in the cab.....tired, hot, and ready for a cool ride back to the hotel. 

Went into hotel, took in bags, and headed back out.  Our day was not over...we had to buy beds! Took a cab to "The Living Room" and was greeted with a smile and an offer of a beverage...Diet Pepsi never tasted so good!  purchased queen size pillowtop mattress, frame,mattress cover and selected fabric for headboard.The price you ask...4,000 dirhams.  Worth it to me, because if I don't sleep I turn into a bear!  While filling out paperwork, the owner was visited by some teachers who had already purchased their beds.  They brought him a plate with Arabic sweets....bite sized confections. There are confection and candy stores everywhere.  It's a sign of hospitality to bring sweets or dates to a person.  He shared with us and they were YUMMY!  After leaving The Living Room, we went to Khalidya Mall and had dinner.  Three tired women and one tired baby drug themselves back to the hotel to a cool, comfortable room for a long night's sleep! 

On Friday, Andrea and I decided to make a visit to Al Ain to deliver the items we've accumulated since coming here.  We will be moved to Al Ain soon, but don't want all these bags on the bus!  If you've ever watched the Amazing Race, you know the cab driver is the key.  They always say they know where you're going, but some don't....yep...that's our cab driver.  Al Ain is about 1hour 1/2 from Abu Dhabi (about 250 dirhams) and let's just say our cab driver took us on the scenic route.  He had no idea where he was going.  When we get close to Al Ain, there are roundabouts.  The road is shaped like a circle and roads branch off in all directions, so reading the signs is important.  Remember...we've only been here one time and our cab driver has no idea where our apartments are located.  Roundabouts are everywhere and it is very comfusing.  After 30 minutes of getting lost, Andrea's directios help us find her apartment and we drop off her items and turn on the air conditioner so it will be cool when she returns.  The cab driver waits for us and then we venture out to find my apartment.  All I have is a picture on my phone and I know it is across the street from ABella Grocery...I was in trouble.  We wandered aimlessly down the streets of Al Ain and I was beginning to get concerned...was I ever going to see my apartment again.  By happenstance, we found the grocery store.  Our cab driver was very frustrated by now, so we decided to have him drop us at the grocery store and get a local cab who would know the area better. 


We walked into the pharmacy area and I showed the pharmacist my picture.  He asked us to follow him out the door.  He said, "Three building down" and you are there.  We were that close! Andrea helped me grab the bags and we walked down to the apartment.  110 degrees and pouring with sweat!!!  Came to my outside door and there was a number for Ali (building supervisor).  He came and let us in, turned on the air, and agreed to clean my apartment after hours for a fee.  There is lots of construction dust everywhere.  He gave me the keys to the front door and I gave him my apartment key so he could clean.  Thanked him for helping us and locked up.  Went out to try and catch a cab....no cabs.  Our apartments are on the edge of town....new subdivision with not much traffic.  Ali said cabs are by chance out here.....great!  Only a couple of minutes later, a cab came by and took us to Al Ain mall to eat lunch.  It's 2:30 by now and we are starving!  Decided to go to Ponderosa. There is a buffet.  We were excited about this...I was thinking fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, biscuits....NO.  I had corn soup, macaroni salad with tuna (Arabic mayo is yucky!), potato salad (Arabic mayo is yucky!), and some nachos with cheese.  Then tried buffet of mostly arabic and indian food.  Very spicy and not to my liking.  Did like the lamb roast, plain rice, and nan (indian bread...flat bread that is heated and oh so yummy.  Made me feel like I do when I eat hot yeast rolls!) 

After eating, headed to catch a cab and head back to Abu Dhabi.  We decided to ride a bus (greyhound style) back.  As soon as our cab door opened, we were being screamed at by male cab drivers who looked like they needed a bath.  They were offering to take us to Abu Dhabi for 100 dirhams.  The bus would cost us 15 dirhams each.  We kept walking trying to ignore them...they forget we've seen the movies where innocent girls disappear!  They followed us (there's about 10 of them).  It was a little scary.  Once we get close to bus, they back off and we arrive just in time to get on the bus.  Interesting thing...there's a women only section to the bus.  Women sit up front and men sit in the back.  There was a sign that says women only.  In the bus terminal there's a women only section.  So if a man and wife are traveling together, they must sit in different sections of the bus terminal and on the bus.  Andrea and I decided that we would sit as close to the front as possible...Itg was a long, but cool trip back to Abu Dhabi.  The bus terminal is on the opposite side of time from our hotel, so we saw many things never seen before.  Andrea and I noted the detail to all the architecture. Everything is done with style.  Even the picnic tables are covered with ornate coverings and the tables themselves are thick, hexagon-shaped picnic tables with laminate on top and very comfortable seating.  We passed a waterway we've never seen and saw people fishing and picnicing. 

2 hours later, we arrived at the bus station.  We manuevered through the station to find the front where we thought the cabs would be located.  Well, we found we were outside the bus station in the men's section....Men were staring at us and smiling in a strange way...We walked quickly until finding the cab loading area and quickly jumped in a cab.  This neighborhood would not be a place I would want to be in at night.  Our cab raced across town and we marveled at the beautiful buildings in our path.  There is such attention to detail and are very aesthetic. Finally, we dragged our two weary bodies out of the cab upstairs to our rooms.  Think there is delivery food in my future!  It's been a long day!  Until we meet again!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment