Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Meetings...Meetings...and MORE Meetings.....

Know it's been a while since my last blog, but been very busy!  On Monday and Tuesday, all the EMT's (English Medium Teachers) had meetings!  For those of you who have had the joy of going to meetings that last all day, several days in a row, you can remember how your brain becomes so full that your mind just can't take any more....and your rear begins to ache from sitting in uncomfortable chairs!!!!  Monday was very interesting....Had to be downstairs at 7:45 to get on our bus.  Been a LONG time since up that early.  Ironed my clothes the night before (long skirt and long sleeve blouse...very professional), set my alarm clock and was up early!  Eager to learn about my school.  Go downstairs and wait in the lobby.  Soon I see something I can't believe.  There's a person in shorts and a t-shirt, 2 people in blue jeans, and one of the guys with blue jeans is wearing a hat cocked to the side..I said to myself "WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING????" As we head to the fleet of buses outside (8 of them), and board the air conditioning is working....thank you lord!  It's already 90 degrees and its only 7:45!

Our buses pull into a state of the art school in Abu Dhabi for our training.  This fairly new facility is colorful, with lots of glass, and smart boards in every room.  We are hearded into a common area where we are asked to sign in and give our mobile numbers.  Everyone here sends SMS texts, including the banks and your employers, so it is vital to have a cell number.  We receive a packet with out name on it stuffed with information.  Eager to know my school,  tear into the envelope only to find an 8 page contract.  On the left side, it is written in English and on the right side, it is written in Arabic.  No grade level or school is written, so no information.  I looked at the label on the front of my envelope and it says C3( Cycle 3)-High School.  My heart sank to my toes....I've never taught high school a day in my life.  Immediately spoke to a person in charge and she crossed it out and made it C1 (Cycle 1-Grades 1-5) and assigned me to small groups with other Early Childhood people,

 Side note-KG1-3 years olds, KG2-4 year olds (Kindergarten), 1st-5 years old.  So as you can see grade levels do not mean the same as in USA. 

Went into a huge auditorium with comfortable seats (or at this time I thought they were!)  and waited for the meeting to start.  I saw my friend Andrea across the room, so I moved to sit by her.  First thing she told me was they sent the man home who came in shorts to change clothes!  GOOD FOR THEM!  The thing I've noticed here is that they have definite standards and do not play around. As I was waiting for the meeting to start, I noticed the front row of the auditorium.  It had 5 small circular tables like you'd see in a "club" (only seen in movies of course!) scattered down the first row and very ornately decorated with flowers.  Fresh fruit, nuts, and water were on each table. Obviously some important people would be sitting here.  As the meeting began, we were asked to rise.  In walks a long line of men in kandoras.  See the picture below.  


As they go to the front row, other members of the ADEC group, come up and start rubbing noses with the men in the kandoras.  This is a sign of having a very close relationship with someone, a friend, and that you are happy to see them (it's a sign of respect).  I must admit, I stared a little, but had to realize that this is part of Arabic culture...I'm the strange one here.  They were then seated on the front row around the decorated tables.  These are the heads of the Abu Dhabi Education Council and are addressed as His Excellency Dr. Mugheer Al Khaili (ADEC Director General) and H.E. Mohammad Salem Al Dhaheri (ADEC Executive Director of School Operations) spoke to us and welcomed us.  Some spoke in English and others had to have translators. 

All teachers will appreciate the next part.  Code of Conduct came next.  Remember those WONDERFUL powerpoints we have to sit through.   The most interesting part was dress code.  Depending on your school, dress code will be decided by the principal.  Men might have to wear the kandoras(above) or suits.  Ladies might have to wear abiayas (see below) with/without the head dress (shela) or might be able to wear kandoras for women (very colorful....kinda cute...looks like a really nice choir robe with lots of color and adornment.) Dress code will be strictly enforced here. Sent home if not dressed correctly...just like the guy in shorts!  These people don't play! 



The next part of the presentations was my favorite!  I met the "Real Housewife of Abu Dhabi".  Sara Slem Mohamed Al Suwaidi.....we called her Sara.  Sara was dressed to the max with immaculate makeup. (Women here really take care of themselves) She told us the dos and don'ts of classroom teaching.  Sara was a women who understood her role and was very straightforward with the information.  She has a great sense of humor, but was very precise in her statements.  Some interesting things I learned are:

 Israel is called Palestine here and not allowed to use any maps that say Israel.  Persian Gulf is called the Arabian Gulf and can't use maps with Persian Gulf.  Not allowed to use any materials in classrooms with pigs or dogs.  Dogs are considered unclean animals and if a dog touches a person's body, he/she is considered unclean and must wash.  No Clifford the Red Dog, Biscuit, or Three Little Pigs :(  When shaking hands or passing something to someone else, only use right hand.  Never show the soles of your shoes to someone or the bottoms of your feet, co nsidered very rude.  All humans come from Adam and eve and there is no evolution.  Not allowed to mention Christian bible stories because they have a class in Islam. ADEC has approved materials that will be given to us and we have to be very sensitive with what we introduce to students.  They are very specific with expectations. 

Shortly after, we took a 2 hour lunch break during which we had to eat, take photos for school id and fingerprinted.  I was looking for fried chicken, potatoes,etc.....nope...finger foods.  Arabs eat small meals during the day and a large supper/dinner.  There were lots of interesting choices, but my favorite was the watermelon (go Cordele!).  After lunch, we heard about professional standards and school structure...just what you want to hear after eating!  Chairs were not near as comfortable after lunch!  Then, we finally got to come home @4:00.  My brain was TIRED!!! Went to an early supper and to bed early.  Tomorrow we will learn about curriculum.  I will do a separate post for that....lots of info...Until we meet again!!!! :)


 

1 comment:

  1. Christine I enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for educating us. Wow hope all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete