Sunday, August 12, 2012

Beauty, Al Ain, and 6 Degrees of Separation

Today has been very exciting.  Began my "first" day of work by attending an orientation meeting in one of the most beautiful rooms I've ever seen.  I must say, that I've never been treated so well in my whole life.  They are literally at your service.  It was nice to see everyone who came over to teach.  Lots of different nationalities and types of people.  There was lots of talk about our work visas/residency visas, which takes 40-60 days to obtain and then those who have loved ones can sponsors them and bring to the country.  Dan will not be joining me because he's taking care of the home fires!  I miss him terribly :( and we facebook often.  We signed up for our bank accounts at the National Bank of Abu Dhabi...(Neil, they might be hiring!) and turned in our passports and visas so they can begin the process of the residence visa. 

We were also given our city assignment and apartment keys today.  I will be living in Al Ain, which is half way between Abu Dhabi and Dubai and will be close enough to both to enjoy what the cities have to offer.  My apartment will be in the Sultan Al Yabhouni Complex.  I will be able to go visit the apartment tomorrrow and scope it out to see what furniture will be needed.  All apartments are totally unfinished, so will have to buy everything.  Good news is we get a housing allowance to help us furnish apartments.  My first priority is a comfy bed...everything else in negotiable! :)  Will post pictures tomorrow after my visit. 

Living in Abu Dhabi without family could be hard, but I've found several good friends.  Andrea Brown and I have been shopping, dining, and seeing the town together for the past few days.  Ironically, her parents are from "Cuthbert", which is where Randolph-Clay is located and  my alma mater.  Then, she introduced me to Shaun, who is a professor from Andrew College in Cuthbert.  How weird is that.....Cuthbert is a small rural town in Southwest Georgia and 3 people from this area are in Abu Dhabi....a small world indeed! 

I miss you, my friends, but I'm having a great time!  :)

2 comments:

  1. I just found out today that I am in the same complex!! We are visiting the complex Wed.. (i'm group 2). What are the apartments like??

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apartment is 204. 2 bedroom. Master bedroom larger than guest room. Combined living room/dining room area. Kitchen is small and is a strange green color and cabinets are a little dated, but planning on repainting. My family stayed in America, so it will be plenty big enough for me. This apartment is good sized compared to others. I think it will be just fine! We move out of hotel in Abu Dhabi Tuesday late???? And will be housed in Al Ain hotel for about 5 days so we can get our apartments ready. Stop by Wed and see if I'm there. Look forward to meeting you, neighbor! :)

    ReplyDelete