Friday, August 10, 2012

First Night Outing

Yesterday,  I went to a grocery store that was triple the size of our WalMart in Cordele. Honestly, there were at least 50% of the items that I had no clue what they were.  Stuck to buying things I was sure of and could recognize the branding.  To truly grasp what's really in the store, I will need to spend a long time just browsing.  There were quite a few veggies and fruits which I really want to try!  The Arabic population consumes lots of bread, gourmet cheeses, and pastas and various grains.  There were at least 100 different types of cheese which I will enjoy trying.  Was excited when I saw Kraft cheese.  Picked up the package and the cheese was white instead of yellow...realized that this will take some time before I feel comfortable in the grocery store. 

After over an hour in the store, I was trying to find sandwich materials and snack items for lunch. Tried a new type of bread, the white Kraft cheese, "French Cheese" lays, Pomegranite juice, and bought fresh fruits (red pairs, pomegranites, and apples).  Then, I searched for mayo for 30 minutes and was at my wits end...finally asked for help.  There were 20 kinds to choose from and none were American names.  Bought a new hair dryer...very expensive, but a girl has to do what a girl has to do! :)

Later, a group of teachers and I went out to eat after sunset.  This was my first outing at night which was outside of our hotel.  During Ramadan, a religious holiday here that last several weeks, locals fast from sunrise to sunset.  Local businesses close during normal business hours and open from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00a.m. or later.  The streets and restaurants are very crowded.  We wanted to eat somewhere outside the hotel, so asked the concierge for a great local restaurant.  He sent us to a Chinese restaurant.  I ordered sweet and sour prawns (large shrimp) and triple delicacy fried rice with shrimp. beef, and chicken, and of course....a diet coke.  Food was really good and have to task for ice here or they will serve cokes warm....ice is the thing I miss the most. 

After leaving the restaurant, we decided to walk a bit and explore.  This experience was a little scary because 70% of the people were men from all cultures.  The local working men travel in "herds". They stared at us in a way that sometimes made us feel uncomfortable. Lesson from this, never go out at night alone and never smile at any of these men...this is considered flirting.  We walked and walked and walked until finally catching a cab back to the hotel.  Our cab driver was new and got lost.  What should have been a 10 minute ride took 25.  If we were in the Amazing Race, surely would've been eliminated! :) 

Today I will be going to the local souke (outdoor markets) like in Sex and the City 2 and take a tour of the city.  Taking my camera, so hopefully will post pictures tomorrow.  Pray for me on Sunday, first teacher meetings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment