Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The True Oasis, Medical Testing, and The Accident

Yesterday, I woke up under the weather with a stuffy nose and a fever.  Bought some Panadol Sinus (supposed to be like Tylenol Sinus, but weaker) and took with a glass of orange juice around 9:30 am.  The next thing I knew it was 5:30 pm.  When I woke up, I felt so much better.  Decided to call my friend, Andrea, and we went down to the pool.  I was afraid it would be like bathwater, but it was refreshingly cool.  There is a "real" lifeguard on duty and makes everyone follow the rules.  I looked up in the sky and there were actually clouds....high up and they were keeping the temperature in the 90's....very refreshing  when compared to 115 degrees (right).  Lounged in the pool until sundown when Nicole and her son Ethan (3 months old) joined us and played with his feet in the pool. Dan, you might have some competition! 

Last night, we ordered Pizza Hut and ate in our rooms since we were all tired.  The pizza was fabulous with "lots" of cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, and olives. Watched a little tv.  TV here is very interesting.  There are about 20 channels that are English with Arabic subtitles.  These channels have movies and series from America.  I've watched How I Met Your Mother, CSI, Hawaii 5-0 and lots of other American shows.  These are the reruns from last season just like in America and have seen commercials for the new shows coming in the Fall.  There are also movie channels that show movies like just like TBS, Fox Movies, and TNT, but these just call them different things. The Young and the Restless is not on here, and I'm really bummed about it.  People in Abu Dhabi watch lots of the Bold and Beautiful??????  So, after much channel surfing, I snuggled up and watched Top Gun (I always cry when Goose dies!) and went to bed early.  Wednesday was going to be a big day....Medical Testing. 

My group had to meet downstairs at 7:15.  I haven't had to be up this early in....oh, a long time.  Went down for breakfast around 6:30 and ate from the buffet.  Not sure if I've told you about the buffet, but there are pancakes, french toast, omelettes, all kinds of sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, lots of types of breads (no bagels :( ), lots of fresh fruits, pastries, lots of fruits, cereals, and some strange items....baked beans (yes for breakfast), fish, jasmine rice, fried rice, porridge (yuck!), cold cuts, and cheeses.  I tend to eat the same things every morning, but haven't gotten tired of it.  Your drink of choice has to be hot tea or coffee, fruit juices, bottled water, or sparkling water.  The staff is very professional and always very courteous. 

Our tour bus took us to a health facility where we have to complete medical testing.  My first station was the UAE ID station.  I  had to be electronically fingerprinted and take our pictures for the ID card.  They really like to talk to Americans and asked lots of questions about how I like it here and the differences in America. Next, I had to wait for a very long time to have my passport and papers validated.   In this country, all natives get to skip in line and men are taken immediately. Going to take some getting used to...no one skips in line (right?). 

Then, I had to see an Arabic doctor.  His nurse was dressed in an abiaya (black outfit/dress Muslim women wear) and was very friendly.  She asked about my children and how I ended up in Abu Dhabi.  When the male doctor came in, she looked at the floor and her whole demeanor changed. He checked my skin, heart, lungs, and blood pressure (which was perfect!).  Next, I had to have blood tests and a urine test checking for pregnancy and disease.  Lastly, a chest x-ray was completed and I was finished!!!!  On the ride down in the elevator, I was the only woman....my travel agent, Omar, was with me, so I felt safe! 

So glad to finally get back on the bus and maybe rest a little on the way back to the hotel!  Nope!  On the way back, a KIA crashed into the back of our bus right beside my window!  Good thing I was sitting so high up!  The car was trying to change lanes and clipped the back of the bus!  It was a hard jolt and I hit my head and arm on the window.  Have only a bruise on my forearm and I am totaly fine!  I couldn't help but think....can't wait to see how these two male drivers handle the stress of this accident.  They walked up to each other, shook hands, calmly talked, and called the police.  When the police arrived, the bus and KIA were moved from the lane of traffic and the officer began talking with both individuals.  In America, there would be shouting, finger pointing, angry faces, and blame.  Everyone on the bus was glued to the window watching the interaction.  Their interaction was very civilized.  When the police finished with our driver and the other driver, the other driver came onto our bus and apologized to us for hitting our vehicle....that would never happen in America!  He took responsibility for his actions and faced those he'd wronged.  What can't more people be like this instead of trying to blame others for everything?  I have learned so much about myself and others on this trip already...can't wait to see what's around the corner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment